Alexander Valley Vineyards 2018 Chardonnay (375mL)
Alexander Valley Vineyards 2018 Chardonnay
Pairs with: Baked cod in cream sauce
Good for: Weekend dinner after a day in the sun
Grapes: 99% Chardonnay, 1% Viognier
I am from: Alexander Valley, Russian River Valley, California
The Story: The Russian River Valley‚Äôs fog layer cools in the morning leading to warmer days which embrace the vine. This 2018 vintage began the year cooler, but the mild weather allowed the grapes to ripen on the vine longer, developing deeper flavors. This chardonnay had 70% of the grapes harvested at night to preserve the grape‚Äôs natural acidity. It was then fermented within stainless steel barrels and without malolactic fermentation. The other 30% of chardonnay grapes were whole-cluster pressed and fermented in French oak barrels, allowing for malolactic fermentation with aging on the lees for six to eight months.
Why you‚Äôll love me: Classic notes of apple, pear, and tropical pineapple with subtle but distinct oak.